Sunday, February 8, 2015

Stumped again….

Since our next few days will flirt with the 70's I'm trying to get a jump on spring.
(although this weather is appreciated, we all know it's not a good thing for plants to come out of dormancy while another cold snap sneaks in…..)

As I have boxes to tick before I can finally get to finishing out my studio,

 I bought this little tree…



Crataegus crus-galli
(Cockspur Hawthorne)

thinking I'd quickly slip her into the ground so I can get to work on the rest of the yard…

and as I dug…..

I discovered…



I wasn't the only one who thought this corner of the yard was a good place for a tree. 


Now I'm….

Stumped.


2 comments:

  1. Uh-oh. Are there just roots...or can you trace them (alas) to a larger source? Will it be $$$$ to remove a stump?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooooo, thanks Margaret! I worked on this yesterday and excavated the mass with the patience of an archaeologist. I discovered where roots were near the wall and cut them judiciously with a long sharp blade on my saws-all. Miraculously they released the mass. It always amazes me what we can accomplish when we put our minds to it. I would have had to pay $$$$, like you said, to have a "guy" get this out. So glad I did it myself. The saws-all is paying for itself.

      Delete