Sunday, April 17, 2011

No more apologies............

I attended an art opening last night and met the husband of a friend there.............he asked what I did, knowing I was an artist...... and I looked at my friend for relief, who knows how I struggle with that question.......I usually look like a 'deer in headlights' when asked that......

I said that was 'difficult to answer' because I 'do' so many different things........and started to list them......and he said "That's GREAT!.......I love to see how artist's work in different mediums........"  and then he went off on a tangent describing how boring the 'art fairs' are with each artist having a booth full of the same thing with slight variations on the theme.......He said, for him, they were so easy to pass by..........He said he would glance in and think "nope" don't like that........"nope" don't like that.....

His wife (also an artist) and I proceeded to explain how galleries and art fairs "like" and have set things up that way.  "They need the 'box' to put the artist in to 'sell' things", we explained......."it makes it neat and tidy for all.   Printmaking, Painting, Mixed Media, Fiber, 3D.....(and even subcategories of those!)........makes it easier for the 'general' public to understand."

Then the 'guy'.........all revved up now.....began to talk about all the Masters and how they worked in different media..........and my friend explained, that 'yes'......perhaps the jurors now were 'old school' and he said "NO" the "Masters" were "Old School" and we needed to get back to THAT.

Then I told the story of how I once was low on 'cohesive work' (having recently become excited about a new printmaking technique) for a prestigious art fair in Colorado and when a juror came into my booth........she put her nose in the air and declared that she did not know what I was 'doing' and that my work was "all over the place"..........In truth it 'was'......(and was not the first time someone did not understand my expression).......however it did not diminish the interest in it......nor the fact that it was really nice..........and all of it well received........but in the end, her comment haunted me......as those kinds of judgements DO........we tend to forget all the good remarks and focus the on the few negative utterances....

And along this vein..........I was recently talking to a friend who lives in a tiny town in New Mexico and I was lamenting that I am "all over the place" (as it had become my 'by' line) in my artistic endeavors.......and she said "GOOD, that will serve you well out here!"

So, as I ponder my purge...........I am valuing my path as an artist.........I have worked through many stages with passion........I do not dabble...........and I move quickly........

I am a fiber artist at my core.....as everything I do has it's basis in texture......

My path...........

I was a curious kid.....with a passion for getting things down and working with my hands in all ways ........I began to hone my craft in fibers when I was in my early 20's.............where I entered college with a firm foundation in design and drawing......Before that I loved feeling clay squish between my fingers........then felt the same sensation as I began to beat pulp to make Paper......... The squishing of fiberous pulp and slippery cellulose excited my senses.......and being with all the paper people.....the progression was naturally to Printmaking.......which led to Encaustic, which is similar to working a printing plate.....and I LOVE wax!........which.......after a move.......reignited my love and passion for Japanese Paper and then the quest to make a 'box' led me to Bookbinding.........and subsequently meeting up with fiber folk again.....as what is a Book?......but working with twine and paper and fabric (and more). My passion led me full circle, back to that......and nature, my soul........... then printing with leaves....brought me back to my passion for all things 'natural'.......and suddenly when I tried to escape it all.......I walked into the metal studio of a friend.........and alchemy embraced me.........once again........

What can I say?  I just love it all.  And embrace it all........and all of it.......the marking, the dying, the stitching, the twining, the heat, the squishing....the squirting......the printing.........the scratching.....the sifting...the lifting.......the sanding, the building.......the cutting.........the designing........the balance..........the soul........the passion.......all excite me.

I have been fortunate to study with some amazing teachers.........and am a sponge to it all.........

As of today..........I offer no more apologies............for not fitting into.........

The Box.

No comments:

Post a Comment